1. CAN I SUBLET MY APARTMENT, ROOM OR HOUSE? Yes. We’d
rather you be in the unit, but understand that you may need to sublease at some time. BHR does not do any
2. DOES BHR CHARGE ANYTHING EXTRA IF I SUBLEASE MY UNIT? There are no charges unless
we need to show your unit, draft subleases, provide additional copies of the lease or anything where we have to provide labor
to get the sublease done. You will be charged the going rate in this situation. Most
residents can manage the sublease on their own.
3. CAN I GET THE CURRENT TENANTS CONTACT INFORMATION TO SHOW THE HOUSE FOR SPRING/SUMMER SUBLEASE?
Definitely. Please send this request to me. You will want to ask the current
tenants first if they want to stay. Sometimes current tenants or their friends like to stay longer and
may even want to sublet from you. Most tenants are happy to work with you on this, along with possibly
leaving or selling household goods they no longer will need.
4. WHAT FORMS ARE REQUIRED?
· BHR Application: Each person residing in a BH unit needs to have an application
SUBLEASE AGREEMENT: A document drafted that outlines
the terms of the sublease. The sublease dates must fall within the same dates of your lease.
The sublease is an extension of the existing lease and all parts of the lease are still in enforcement. The
Off-Campus Housing office has provided these to students.
· SECURITY DEPOSIT: We strongly encourage asking for security deposit of 1-1/12 month’s rent.
· A COPY OF YOUR LEASE: You are required to give a subtenant a copy of the
lease. You and your housemates were each given a copy of the lease. Additional copies
may be requested for $5/copy.
RENT PAYMENTS: The lease agreement for you is with me
and therefore, rent still needs to be paid by you to me. Where at all possible, you should pay me and your
subletter pay you so you will not know if they have paid on time, etc…
6. ROOM SUBLETS:
Please make sure that your housemates know that you are subletting your room. You are all jointly
responsible to the lease, so, they need to know if you are subleasing.
BHR tenants can list their sublet on my website at no charge. You do need to provide a contact email,
price and any particulars. You are responsible for answering requests, checking references, collection
of money, showing the unit and working out details with roommates. Sublease requests will be
posted starting in March on www.bighouserentals.net
8. I HAVE A SUBLETTER, NOW WHAT? Please send me a copy of the sublease agreement
and BHR application.
9. QUESTIONS: I can be reached at (734) 223-9879.